TMJ IMBALANCE ~ Possible Symptoms:
- Bruxism/grind or clinch teeth
- Malocclusion/misalignment of teeth
- Tinnitus/ringing or muffled sound perception
- Osgood Schlatters disease
- jaw clicking and pain when chewing
- inability to fully open or close mouth
- swallowing difficulties
- headaches and migraines
- blurred vision or eye pain
- ear pain or pressure
- jaw, face, neck or shoulder pain
- knee, ankle or hip pain
- digestive disorders
- bladder problems
- bed wetting
- uterine prolapse
- hiatal hernia
- ileocecal valve problems
- learning difficulties
Causes of TMJ Imbalance:
When we are stressed or have certain perceptions which constrict us, we tend to hold the tension in our muscles and in particularly our jaw. We hold approximately 70% of all our tension in our jaw and face. When we hold tension, emotions and mental stress in these area, symptoms start to present themselves, such as:
- Accident or blow
- Poor dental occlusions
- Stress and other psychological factors
- Constant clenching or teeth grinding
Energetic View of the Jaw:
The jaw and face also have a number of meridians/acupuncture energy lines which also run through this area. Meridians are pathways which carry qi or life force through the body which in turn nourishes the associated organs. Using energy healing techniques with these meridians assists in the energy flow to these areas of the body. The meridians mapped around the jaw and face are the Stomach, Small Intestine, Triple Heater, Gall bladder and Large Intestine.
Symptoms of imbalances in these meridians are:
- Stomach – worry, anxiety, insecurity, poor digestion, dissatisfied, increased or lack of appetite, nausea, ulcers.
- Small intestine – lack of joy, mental confusion, over thinking, critical and cynical, unable to sort out pure from impure or healthy from unhealthy, frozen shoulder, stiff neck, hearing difficulties, mouth abscesses, pain in lower abdomen.
- Triple Heater – sluggish metabolism, irregular temperature, hot or cold flashes.
- Gallbladder – frustration, anger, resentment, jealousy, indecision, unexpressed anger, bitterness, pain on right side of the trunk, migraines, difficulty digesting fatty foods, stiffness in neck and shoulders.
- Large intestine – inability of letting go of past hurt, pessimism, grief, weakness and vulnerability, inflexible, poor memory, constipation or diarrhea, body and foot odor, skin problems, diverticulitis.
Energetically the jaw and face are also connected to the fifth or throat chakra. This area governs our expression and communication with the world. The throat chakra is situated directly between our head and our heart which assists in balancing and using both the intellect and intuition in harmony throughout life. This chakra represents the challenges of surrendering our own willpower to Divine will. This brings into play issues of control over situations and events. Balancing this chakra assists in strengthening our will and our ability to release and surrender to the Universe’s Divine force.